Friday, September 2, 2011

A Little Too Close To Home

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/01/911-firefighters-cancer-risks-lancet-study-zadroga-act_n_945444.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl19%7Csec1_lnk3%7C92291

With the ten year anniversary of 9/11 coming up, I've noticed a lot of news articles emerging.  I've heard in the years past that some of the people that were exposed to ground zero had developed cancer.  However, I found it hit a little too close to home when the one cancer that was named was Multiple Myeloma.

In May of 2010, my dad was diagnosed with this cancer and it has changed my life completely.  He was not in New York when the attacks happened, but I've heard many cases about people volunteering their time to help clean up ground zero and a few years later learning they too have cancer.  It breaks my heart to see people doing something good and then become sick a few years later.



1 comment:

  1. The point is that they had the courage to do something good. Most of humanity lacks that courage.

    ReplyDelete